Monday, April 30, 2007

home sweet home

I'm back here in Victoria as of a week ago (April 20th). So far I've just been recovering from what felt like 6 months of cabin leading. My job was a joy and a challenge and i'm thankful for some time to rest and reflect on the happenings of this past year. I've learned so much about leading people, mentoring, and myself, mostly through my mistakes. It's a tough and painful way to learn, but possibly the quickest and most effective (oh darn). I've learned that when you are leading people your words are so important so pick them carefully and think things through before you speak. I've learned to listen more and ask good questions, while saving advice for when it's requested or absoultely necessary (I tend to be an advice giver just like my mom). I've experienced my weaknesses and my limitations through being at the very very end of myself, many times. That's not a happy place to be . . . it's pretty ugly actually. I think I'm at the beginning of learning how to let God do work in people rather than try to over advice them out of their problems. Mentoring is a delicate dance between standing back and letting God do the work and challenging people to grow. I haven't perfected that dance but I know that it is a very prayerful process. Overall I had a fabulous year amidst community, adventure, service, and learning. I'm finding that I'm missing my students and the friends that I've made in the other site leaders. They have blessed me and have been a big part of this special time in my life. If you're reading this, I love you guys (yes, all 35 of you site twoers). Leave a comment so I know where you're at.

For now I'm just chillin at the casa de mis padres (my parents house). I've rummaged through and wittled down everything that I own so now i finally feel like I've moved in! I've made a couple of trips to the thrift store with garbage bags of useful things for someone else. I've done lots of mending and i have more sewing to do as I bought patterns and material for 2 dresses. One must be prepared for the battery of summer weddings that are swiftly approaching (congrats Meg & Frank and Ruthie & Matt!). I've visited with a few friends Megan, Frank, Marijka, Rachel.....and of course Mr. tspray himself. All I can say is it's good to be off the phone and in person. phewf!

So I'm looking for work. . . but not too soon. I just want odd jobs for the summer and a real grown up job in the fall. I'm looking for a condo with my parents . . . and I'm looking for a roomate (anyone interested in livin' with lil ol me?). I'm looking to connect back up with friends and in many cases am waiting for them to come home from wherever they are. I'm looking for a bible study, the right group of people for this time in my life.

That's all for now cause I gotta do my taxes. Yippie!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm home now too! lets hang out...coffee?

May 03, 2007 12:34 AM

 
Blogger Sarah :) said...

Hi Patty! Looks like you've had a crazy year! Your comment about not over advising people and trusting God to do His work struck me. It's hard to trust God when friends seem to be wandering other ways, so it's good to have the reminder to trust! Thanks! :) Are you going back to work with that group in the next school year? I am looking foward to my year long adventure in Cambodia...

May God bless you with rest and peace!
Sarah Buddingh:)

May 19, 2007 10:13 PM

 
Blogger Melinda said...

yoyo p-diddy!
i've got a bunch of days off in the last 2 weeks of june -- i was thinking i might come over and visit.
would that be a good time?

May 24, 2007 11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home